Chicken Pilaf with Vegetables
Indian baby food recipe - Stage 3: 10 months plus
Pilaf or Pulao, a traditional rice dish cooked with either vegetables, meat or both in one pot.
- SuperFoods included: olive oil, onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, lemon, yogurt, cauliflower, peas - SuperSpices included: cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, cumin
Protein-rich, starchy food for energy, rich in B vitamins niacin and vitamin B6, both required to convert food into energy. Contains selenium, a mineralbelieved to be anti-cancer and regulates the hormones released by the thyroid gland, essential for weight control.
Makes 5-6 servings. Total preparation and cooking time: 25mins. Suitable for freezing.
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - peeled, chopped
- 1 whole cardamom pod - black
- 1 whole clove
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tomato – washed, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- Squeeze of ½ a lemon - ensuring no seeds fall in
- 2 tbsp plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1 chicken breast fillet (skinless) - washed, cut into 1cm cubes
- 100g (3½oz) white basmati rice – washed, drained
- 60g (2½oz) cauliflower florets - washed, chopped (no stems)
- 40g (1½oz) peas – frozen, washed
- 250ml (8fl oz) of water
Heat the oil in a pot and add the onion, cardamom, clove, and cinnamon. Stir-fry on medium-low heat for 8-10mins until the onion crisps up and turns brown.
Turn to low heat and add the tomato, black pepper, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, lemon juice and yogurt gradually a little at a time, stirring in between to avoid curdling. Stir-fry for 2-3mins.
Add the chicken, stir and cook (covered) on low heat for 5mins.
Add the rice, cauliflower and peas to the pot, pour in the water, stir and bring to the boil. Simmer (covered) on low heat for 10-15mins until the rice is tender and all the water has been absorbed. The rice should look a little moist when it’s done. Stir and set aside (covered) for 5-10mins.
IMPORTANT: Remove the cardamom pod, clove, and cinnamon stick before serving to baby.
Serve to baby warm on its own as a complete meal.