Classic Gajar Halwa (V) (carrot dessert)
Indian baby food recipe - Stage 2: 7 months plus
Gajar Halwa, one of the most famous Indian desserts. Bursting with nutritional value this dish can be served as a snack, after meal treat, or simply for a special occasion for baby to indulge in.
- SuperFoods included: carrots, raisins - SuperSpices included: cardamom, cinnamon
Bursting with antioxidant vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) required for healthy skin, eyes and immune system. Naturally sweet; anti-bacterial properties protect against tooth decay.
Makes 3-4 servings. Total preparation and cooking time: 20mins. Suitable for freezing.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 2 medium carrots – peeled, washed, grated (in food processor)
- 150ml (5fl oz) of whole milk
- Pinch of ground cardamom - green
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 15g (½ oz) raisins – soaked in warm water (5mins), drained
Melt the butter or ghee in a pot, add the carrots and stir-fry for 5mins.
Pour in the milk and add the cardamom, cinnamon and raisins. Bring to the boil gradually on a low heat; this will take 5-10mins. Simmer (uncovered) for 15mins, stirring occasionally until the mixture begins to thicken.
Once all of the milk has been absorbed, remove from the heat. Serve to baby warm.