Indian Salmon Risotto with Parsnips and Broccoli
Indian baby food recipe - Stage 3: 10 months plus
Classic Italian meal delicately spiced for an Indian twist.
- SuperFoods included: olive oil, onion, ginger, garlic, broccoli, salmon
- SuperSpices included: nutmeg, cumin, black pepper
Includes essential omega 3 fatty acids required for good brain function, growth and development; vitamin D necessary for building strong muscles and bones, vital for helping babies learn to walk; starchy food required for energy; antioxidant vitamin C and anti-viral properties for cold and flu protection.
Makes 5-6 servings. Total preparation and cooking time: 30-35mins. Suitable for freezing.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion - peeled, chopped
- ¼ tsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 curry leaf
- 100g (3½ oz) Arborio risotto rice – washed, drained
- 750ml (1¼ pint) of hot vegetable or fish stock – baby-friendly
- 60g (2½oz) parsnip – peeled, washed, cubed
- 60g (2½oz) broccoli florets – washed, chopped (no stems)
- 100g (3½oz) salmon fillet (skinless, boneless) - washed
- 1 tsp unsalted butter- softened
- 2 tbsp of whole milk
Heat the oil in a pot, add the onion and stir-fry on medium-low heat for 4-5mins until soft and golden. Add the ginger, garlic, nutmeg, cumin, black pepper and the curry leaf. Lightly cook the spices for 30secs-1min.
Add the rice to the pot, fold into the spices, and pour over the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer (covered) on a low heat for 15-20mins until creamy and tender.
Whilst the rice is cooking, steam the vegetables in a steamer or in the microwave by placing the parsnip and broccoli in a microwavable dish and adding 2 tablespoons of water. Cover the dish with either a lid (leaving a small vent) or cling film (piercing a few holes), and steam in the microwave on high for 1½-2mins until tender. Once cooked, drain the excess water and leave aside.
Next place the salmon in a microwavable dish, gently rub the butter into the fillet and spoon over the milk. Poach in the microwave (covered leaving a small vent) for 2-3mins until the fish is flaky and cooked through. Check half way to ensure the fish is not being overcooked.
Once the rice is cooked, add the steamed veggies and flake in the salmon ensuring there are no sneaky bones left in the fillet. Combine together for a delicious, aromatic meal.